Ponticello Village (Filattiera)
Here you can
Located along the pilgrimage route Via Francigena, the medieval village of Ponticello dates back to the 14th-15th century.
It is a fortified village that develops beyond the oratory of St. Rocco and Bernando, founded in 1648. The façade of this oratory was originally facing the historic centre but in 1819 it was restored and enlarged adding a dome covered in copper and the façade was re-built facing outside the village.
The main features of the village are its characteristic lancet arches and tunnel vaults connecting the small lanes and the houses, and the tower-houses dating back to the 10th and 12th century - typical fortified house divided into 3 floors where, for defensive reasons, the entrance was at the first floor and accessible by retractable ladder and connected to the ground floor by inner passages.
Worth a visit especially in August when the local festival “Mestieri nel Borgo” takes place in the lanes and the cellars once used as artisan workshops, where ancient traditions and crafts are displayed such as artisans working stone, wood or weaving.